Important Dates to Remember
Property Assessment & Tax DatesThe following are important property assessment and tax dates to remember:
- January 1: Assessment date - All property is assessed as it existed on this date.
- January 31: Taxes due - Payment of personal and real estate taxes are due or the first installment is due for real estate tax, if paying in installments.
- March 1: Filing deadline - This is the last day to file personal property returns for the current year.
- March - May: The assessor will hold an open book session to meet with residents. Dates and times for open book are published in the Waunakee Tribune and posted at the Village Hall. Owners of property that has changed in value will be notified by the assessor of the open book dates and times.
- May - June: The Board of Review session is scheduled. By law, the Board of Review must hold its first meeting within the 30-day period beginning on the second Monday in May.
- July 31: Taxes due - The second installment of real estate tax is due for those who paid only the first installment on January 31. This installment is paid directly to Dane County.
2017 Important Dates Notice of Assessment will be mailed no later than May 5, 2017. This notice will arrive in an envelope from Associated Appraisal Consultants, Inc. Please read both sides of the notice for important value and objection information.
Open Book is scheduled for Wednesday, May 17, 2017 from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM at the Waunakee Village Hall, 500 West Main Street, Waunakee, Wisconsin. Please contact Associated Appraisal Consultants, Inc. to schedule an appointment for Open Book. Open Book refers to a period of time before Board of Review when the completed assessment roll is open for examination. At Open Book, the assessor is allowed to make any changes that are necessary to perfect the assessment roll. Instructional materials on appealing an assessment value to the Board of Review will be available. The deadline for providing notice of intent to object to the Village Clerk's office is 5:00 PM on Tuesday, May 30, 2017.
Board of Review is scheduled to begin on June 1, 2017 at 5:00 PM at the Waunakee Village Hall, 500 West Main Street, Waunakee, Wisconsin. The deadline for providing notice of intent to object to the Village Clerk's office is 5:00 PM on Tuesday, May 30, 2017. It is recommended that you attend Open Book to discuss your property's assessment value with the assessor prior to appearing before the Board of Review. If you are not satisfied with your assessment value, you will need to make arrangements with the Village Clerk's office to appear before the Board of Review. You must provide the Village Clerk with written or oral notice of your intent to file an objection at least 48 hours before the first scheduled meeting of the Board of Review. In addition, a written and signed form of objection to property assessment must be completed and filed with the Village Clerk's office within the first 2 hours of the Board of Review's first scheduled meeting. Objection forms will be available at Open Book, at the Village Clerk's office, Village Hall, 500 West Main Street, Waunakee, Wisconsin, or at our Document Center. You must object to the total value of the property. You may not object to only the land value or only the improvement value. The Board of Review will be in session for a minimum of 2 hours, will reconvene as necessary, and will adjourn when all objections, complete and timely filed, are heard.