Becoming a Candidate
Local offices to be included on the Spring 2020 Village of Waunakee ballot include: three Village Board Trustee seats and the Municipal Judge. Village Trustee seats are for a term of two year beginning on Tuesday, April 21, 2020. The Municipal Judge is elected for a term of four years beginning on May 1, 2020.
Becoming a Candidate
The following documents and links provide information on how to become a candidate for public office. As a candidate, you are responsible for familiarizing yourself with the election and campaign finance requirements that apply to your campaign, which you may obtain from either the Wisconsin Statutes or from your private attorney. In addition, you may obtain general information about elections from the Wisconsin Election Commission. Information provided below is provided as a courtesy, it should not be interpreted as either legal advice or a release from a candidates responsibility to comply with the law. If after reviewing the information you have further questions, please contact the Village Clerk at 608-850-2827.
Necessary Forms and Information
- Candidate Instructions (PDF)
- Ballot Access Checklist (PDF)
- Declaration of Candidacy (PDF)
- Memorandum Regarding Felony Convictions (PDF)
- Campaign Registration Statement (PDF)
- Campaign Finance Checklist (PDF)
- Nomination Paper for Nonpartisan Office (PDF)
- Notification of Noncandidacy (PDF)
To seek office as a write-in candidate:
- Pick up your Campaign Finance Registration Statement (CF-1) from the Village Clerk’s Office or download it from the link provided above.
- File your Campaign Registration Statement with the Village Clerk as soon as you decide to become a write-in candidate for Village office. Write-in votes are counted at the Spring Primary for candidates who file a campaign registration statement by noon on Friday, February 14, 2020. Write-in votes are counted at the Spring Election for candidates who file a campaign registration statement by noon on Friday, April 3, 2020.
- Educate your supporters to fill the oval and write your name in the write-in area under the office for which you are running.
- December 1, 2019: First day nomination papers may be circulated.
- December 27, 2019: Deadline for incumbents not seeking re-election to file Notice of Non-Candidacy
- January 7, 2020: All candidacy papers and forms due to the Clerk's office by 5 p.m.
- January 10, 2020: Deadline to challenge nomination papers
- February 18, 2020: Spring Primary, if needed.
- April 7, 2020: Spring Election
This is where we list the candidates who have submitted paperwork to run for local office. This list will be updated as new information is received. This list was last updated on: January 7, 2020 @ 5 pm.
Village TrusteeNila Frye
- Declaration of Candidacy - Received 12/30/2019
- Campaign Finance Registration Statement - Received 12/30/2019
- Nomination Papers - Receive 12/30/2019; Verified 01/02/2020
- Declaration of Candidacy - Received 12/02/2019
- Campaign Finance Registration Statement - Received 12/02/2019
- Nomination Papers - Receive 12/20/2019; Verified 12/24/2019
- Declaration of Candidacy - Received 01/07/2020
- Campaign Finance Registration Statement - Received 01/07/2020
- Nomination Papers - Received 01/07/2020; Verified 01/07/2020
- Declaration of Candidacy - Received 01/06/2020
- Campaign Finance Registration Statement - Received 01/06/2020
- Nomination Papers - Received 01/06/2020; Verified 01/07/2020
- Declaration of Candidacy - Received 11/27/2019
- Campaign Finance Registration Statement - Received 11/27/2019
- Nomination Papers - Received 12/13/2019; Verified 12/16/2019
Municipal JudgeNicholas J. Rifelj
- Declaration of Candidacy - Received 12/06/2019
- Campaign Finance Registration Statement - Received 12/06/2019
- Nomination Papers - Received 12/10/2019; Verified 12/11/2019