Mutts on Main - 2019
Waunakee's 5th Annual Public Art Project
The Village of Waunakee, in partnership with the Endres Mfg. Company and the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce, is happy to announce the fifth annual Waunakee Public Art Project. Last year’s project, Barrels on Parade, was successful in continuing to build upon the creative and innovative identity of Waunakee. The Village and its partners would like to build on this project and see it taken even further, including expanding on another facet of Waunakee’s heritage.
This year’s project is called Mutts on Main, and will highlight Waunakee’s love for our best friends, our dogs. Endres Mfg. Company will once again donate time, labor, and materials to provide our artists with steel mutt cutouts. A $300 stipend (half from Endres Mfg. Company and half from the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce) will be provided to each artist or artist team. Those interested in applying must currently live or work within the school district limits of Waunakee, or be a graduate of the Waunakee Community School District.
All of the finished mutts will be displayed at various businesses downtown this summer. For further details and how to apply, see below.
Artists will be assigned a steel mutt cutout sitting on a steel base (German Pointer, Dachshund, or German Shepard). For measurements and exact shape, please see the links below. The artist is completely free to determine theme, materials, and general direction of the final product.
Finished mutts will be placed at various downtown businesses for one month. A plaque decal on the base will include artist information and credits, as well as information for Endres Mfg. Company and the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce. After the mutts are removed from view, they will be auctioned off to the community at Wauktoberfest. Proceeds will support projects that benefit the community through the Waunakee Creative Economy Initiative and the Endres Foundation.
- Continue to develop a sense of place and artistic identity within Waunakee and surrounding regions
- Build off of the success of last year’s project and make public art a point of interest for the Village
- Strengthen the relationship between Waunakee businesses and citizens through art and creativity
- Promote the downtown area through commerce, partnerships, and increased foot traffic
- The Artist must live or work within the limits of the Waunakee Community School District, or be a graduate of Waunakee Community High School
- The call is open to professional/amateur/hobby artists and students of all ages
- Artist teams are eligible for the project; however, a team leader must be selected and made clear in the application material
- The stipend must be shared with team members
- Previous public art experience is not necessary; all who are interested are encouraged to apply
Selection Process and Criteria:
A panel will review the submissions and select the eight (8) recipients of mutts based on a list of pre-determined criteria. This selection criteria will include:
- Expression of some kind of theme
- Suggestions include: The Village of Waunakee, travel, connectedness, or celebrations of creativity
- Creativity and innovative thinking shown in enhancing the simple cutout
- Integration of final piece into setting (Downtown Waunakee, Main Street, Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce Depot)
- Clarity of vision, organization, and realistic completion expectations
- Artistic merit
Each artist or team of artists will be given a $300 stipend for use throughout the project. This includes coverage including, but not limited to: supplies, transportation, studio overhead, and more. Any expenses exceeding $300 are the responsibility of the artist to cover. Stipends generously provided by Endres Mfg. Company and Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a proposal via email to: email@example.com with “Waunakee Mutts on Main” in the subject line.. Applications should include the following:
- Full artist contact information: Name, email, phone, address
- For a team, please include this information for each team member and clearly indicate who the team leader will be
- 1 page resume or biography
- Links to artist website, or images of past work if applicable
- If submitting images, please format as JPEGs and attach to email
- 1-2 page proposal for your mutt. Explain why you are interested in participating and why. The artist is free to determine theme, composition, and materials.
- All designs must be weatherproof. Please be sure to explain weatherproofing efforts you will take or elements in your design that will ensure durability in all conditions.
Please no mailed submissions*
Friday, May 24: Submissions from Artists Open
Friday, June 28: Submissions from Artists Due
Week of July 1: Selection Committee meets, accepted artists will be notified
Week of July 8: Mutts and stipends are picked up by artists from Endres Mfg. Company
Thursday, August 8: Completed mutts are due to the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce Depot
Monday, August 12: Mutts go on display at various Waunakee businesses
Sunday, September 15: WauktoberFest auction of Mutts on Main art piece