Short-Term Rental License
On September 16, 2019, the Village of Waunakee approved an ordinance related to the regulation and licensing of short-term rentals. A short-term rental is a residential dwelling that is offered for rent for a fee and for fewer than 29 consecutive days. Also commonly known as Airbnb or VRBO rentals, however there may be other variations as well.
The ordinance requires that those wishing to rent their property on a short-term basis obtain a Short-Term Rental License. For more information on licensing requirements, please review the Short-Term Rental ordinance linked below.
Prior to occupancy as a short-term rental, the property owner shall obtain a Village of Waunakee Short-Term Rental License (STRL). Review and approval of the STRL requires review by the Village including a public hearing held by the Village Board. The STRL period is January 1st to December 31st and the license must be renewed annually subject to Village approval or denial.
Short-Term Rental Applications
- Short-Term Rental License Application
- Short-Term Rental Additional Unit Application
- Short-Term Rental Property Manager Permit Application
- Room Tax Permit
Important Dates to Remember
- 2019 Implementation Timeline: Please note that the initial licensing period will be from December 1, 2019 to December 31, 2020
- October 15, 2019 - Application deadline for for short-term rental license and property manager permit. Any owner wishing to operate a short-term rental in the Village of Waunakee, effective December 1, 2019, shall complete and file an application with the Village on or before October 15, 2019.
- November 2019 - Village Board public hearings and consideration of license requests. Public hearings will be held during regular Village Board meetings which are scheduled to take place on Monday, November 4 and Monday, November 18 starting at 6 pm.
- December 1, 2019 - Effective date of Short-Term Rental License Ordinance. Any person who operates a short-term rental in violation of the Short-Term Rental Ordinance on or after December 1, 2019, without complying with the Short-Term Rental Ordinance, shall be subject to the penalties outlined in the ordinance.
- Following initial implementation timeline of ordinance, below please find important dates to remember:
- October 15 - Deadline for application for renewal of a short-term rental license and property manager permit.
- January 1 - New licensing year officially begins. All licenses for the previous year are now expired.