Butterflies on Main
Waunakee’s 6th Annual Public Art Project
The Village of Waunakee, in partnership with the Endres Mfg. Company and the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce, is happy to announce the sixth annual Waunakee Public Art Project. Last year’s project, Mutts on Main, was successful in continuing to build upon the creative and innovative identity of Waunakee. The Village and its partners would like to build on this project and see it taken even further, including expanding on another facet of Waunakee’s heritage.
This year’s project is called Butterflies on Main, and will highlight Waunakee’s passion for protecting our friends the butterflies. Endres Mfg. Company will once again donate time, labor, and materials to provide our artists with steel butterfly cutouts. A $200 stipend (half from Endres Mfg. Company Foundation and half from the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce) will be provided to each artist or artist team. Those interested in applying must currently live or work within the school district limits of Waunakee, or be a graduate of the Waunakee Community School District.
All of the finished butterflies will be displayed on light posts along the Main Street corridor for the the summer. For further details and how to apply, see below.
Artists will be assigned a steel butterfly cutout, which will have the appropriate mounting fixture on the back. For exact shape, please see the link below. The artist is completely free to determine theme, materials, and general direction of the final product.
Finished butterflies will be displayed on light posts along the Main Street corridor for the the summer. After display is over, a plaque which will include artist information and credits, as well as information for Endres Mfg. Company and the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce will be included with the butterflies when they are sold. After the butterflies are removed from view, they will be auctioned off to the community at Wauktoberfest. Proceeds will support projects that benefit the community through the Waunakee Creative Economy Initiative and the Endres Foundation.
- Continue to develop a sense of place and artistic identity within Waunakee and surrounding regions
- Build off of the success of last year’s project and make public art a point of interest for the Village
- Strengthen the relationship between Waunakee businesses and citizens through art and creativity
- Promote the downtown area through commerce, partnerships, and increased foot traffic
Each artist or team of artists will be given a $200 stipend for use throughout the project. This includes coverage including but not limited to: supplies, transportation, studio overhead, and more. Any expenses exceeding $200 are the responsibility of the artists to cover. Stipends generously provided by Endres Mfg. Company Foundation and the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce.
Selection Process and Criteria
A panel will review the submissions and select the 12 recipients of butterflies based on a list of pre-determined criteria. This selection criteria will include:
- Expression of some kind of theme
- Creativity and innovative thinking shown in enhancing the simple cutout
- Integration of final piece into setting
- Clarity of vision, organization, and realistic completion expectations
- Artistic merit
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a proposal via email to: email@example.com with “Waunakee Butterflies on Main” in the subject line. Applications should include the following:
- Full artist contact info: Name, email, phone, address
- For a team, please include this information for each team member and clearly indicate who the team leader will be
- 1 page resume or biography
- Links to artist website, or images of past work if applicable
- If submitting images, please format as JPEGs and attach to email
- 1-2 page proposal for your butterfly. Explain why you are interested in participating and what you would do with a butterfly and why. The artist is free to determine theme, composition, and materials.
- All designs must be weatherproof. The butterflies will be outside rain or shine, 24 hours per day. Please be sure to explain weatherproofing efforts you will take or elements in your design that will ensure durability in all conditions.
Please no mailed submissions*
Whats Happening Now:
The application process has been opened and there will be (12) twelve butterflies available to be awarded.
Tuesday, April 21: Submissions from Artists Open
Friday, May 22: Submissions from Artists Due
Week of May 25: Selection Committee meets, accepted artists will be notified
Week of June 1: Butterflies and stipends are picked up by artists from Endres Mfg. Company
Tuesday June 30 : Completed butterflies are due to the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce Depot
Date TBD: Artist Reception & Kick off Party at Chamber of Commerce Depot from 5:00 - 7:00 PM
Friday, July 3: Butterflies go on display along Main Street
Sunday, September 13 at 3:30 PM: WauktoberFest auction of Butterflies on Main art pieces